We live in a technology-driven world, which is continuously evolving. Kids, the future of any country, are required to have a scientific temper to understand the ever-evolving technology.
Barack Obama rightly said, “This is our generation’s Sputnik moment,” emphasizing the need to reform the traditional learning curriculum urging the educators to prioritize 21st-century skills, i.e., STEM education.
STEM is not just a fancy term but a revolutionary approach to education. The invention in any field is based on STEM principles. Overlooking this approach to education will lead to an ill-prepared workforce to the challenges of the 21st century.
What Is The Meaning Of STEM?
The meaning of STEM lies in the 4 subjects namely – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM education is an interdisciplinary approach to these subjects, rather than treating them in silos. These disciplines act as an elementary unit in developing some of the key skills, such as communication, problem-solving, data analysis, and critical thinking.
The STEM Lessons For Each Subject Include:
• Science: The study of nature – the sun, the moon, stars, ecosystem, etc.
• Technology: The study of any man-made product to either satisfy a want or a need, whether digital or non-digital.
• Engineering: The process of solving various tech problems by designing a creative solution.
• Mathematics: The study of shapes, numbers, and quantities to develop analytical skills.
Importance of STEM Education
Each country is now using an extraordinary amount of intellect and resources to seek the answer to a fundamental question: How to prepare a competent workforce? After years of research, all results and research reports illustrate the importance of STEM education.
The global education system is now climbing out of the rote learning ditch and moving toward a practical approach. More than 26 developed countries are adopting STEM as their core education strategy. Along with developed countries, STEM education is now an extremely popular term in developing countries such as India and many other countries.
Educating the younger generation through STEM is a cash cow.
The following facts highlight the importance of STEM education in the 21st century:
• Compared to a 9% increase in non-STEM-related jobs, the number of STEM-related jobs is expected to increase by 13% between 2017 and 2027, with opportunities in computer science, engineering, and data science.
• The STEM curriculum promotes a kid’s social development and employability.
• It prepares kids for their future job scenario: Most top-tier jobs in leading companies are STEM-related and not limited to high-tech.
• STEM-related professions such as biomedical engineers, financial experts, and robotics engineers also pay off financially. Surveys show that the average annual salary in STEM occupations in 2019 was $86,980, significantly more than their STEM counterparts.
STEM Training Through Coding & Robotics
STEM education does not have definite teaching, so teachers around the world use all kinds of strategies and activities to impart knowledge. Coding & Robotics is conceivably the most beneficial choice. It enhances the outcomes of STEM learning and promotes the scientific vocation. The lesson plans are designed precisely to ignite the curiosity in kids which further encourages them to explore and analyze their surroundings.
Coding & Robotics enables students in tackling complex situations without breaking a sweat. They gain problem-solving experience while working on programming projects and prototypes.
Coding exercises logical and reasoning skills but did you know it enhances creativity too? Writing a code requires imagination and intuitive thinking. Even the basic drawings and plans require the functioning of the frontal cortex of the brain. Thus, coding supports the development of both hemispheres of the brain logically and creatively. Overall, Coding & Robotics guides the proper academic and psychosocial development of kids.
Is STEM Good For Kids?
Yes, introducing STEM at a young age is seen as good for a kid’s future because young minds tend to be malleable. STEM education is like a knowledge seed planted in young brains to reap rewards in the future.
Kids with STEM knowledge benefit from these benefits throughout their lives. It also promotes academic excellence and imparts lifelong analytical skills. Not only academics but studying STEM also facilitates personality development by building self-confidence and a cooperative attitude.
Kids tend to discover their heartfelt passion during their training. For instance – If a kid uses motion and engineering to build a prototype, he/she may discover their inner engineer. The true magic of STEM education pulls the core subjects out of the deep dark, obscure textbooks and brings them to life.
RoboGems focuses on teaching STEM concepts through Coding & Robotics. Our teachers impart STEM education through a project-based approach. Students solve challenging problems through collaboration, creativity, and effective communication. Learning happens naturally through the fun-filled STEM activities. We wish our generation had so much fun learning Science and Math concepts 🙂